In 1631, Johan (son of Jesper) Kruus commissioned the construction of the church in Jokioinen. It is not known why the church was built into the forest behind the buildings of the Jokioinen Estate. Among other speculation, it has been suggested that perhaps the owner of the Estate, who got the right to appoint priests, wanted to assert his authority in such a way. Today, only the log walls and the graves under the floor boards remain of the original building. The present decorative exterior and tower connected to the steep roof were designed in 1862 by G. A. Edelfelt, the architect for the region of Häme. To the north side of the so-called Lacechurch, there is a small vestry. The front hall of the church resembles an armament room from the Middle Ages and in the gable to the west there is another entrance with a vestibule.
On 24th of June 1735, General Hamilton donated an altarpiece to the church. However, it was lost at an unknown time. Instead of a typical altarpiece, the church now has a wooden crucifix dating back to 1650s. The altar was designed in 1931 by the architect Rafael Blomstedt.
Many of the articles in the church were donated in the 17th and 18th century by various benefactors. The mechanical organ was built in 1971 by the organ maker, Hans Heinrich. The church was repainted in 1975 using the colour design of the curator Th. Lindqvist.
The church is surrounded by a graveyard, which has been extended many times. In the older part there are the graves of the pastors, estate residents and factory workers. The granite fountain was designed by the artist Ilmari Wirkkala.
The Jokioinen church is one of the oldest wooden churches in Finland which are in use around the year.
The address: Kirkkokuja 143
The Church is open for silent prayer and visiting on weekdays from 9 am to 2.30 pm, on Saturday from 1 pm to 5 pm and on Sunday from 11 am to 3 pm.
Keskuskatu 29 A, 31600 Jokioinen
Kunnanvirasto avoinna ma klo 9.00-16.30, ti-pe klo 9.00-15
Puhelinvaihde 03 418 21, ma klo 8.00-16.00, ti-pe klo 8.00-15.30
Faksi 03 4384 025
Henkilöhaku (työntekijöiden ja luottamushenkilöiden yhteystiedot)
Sähköposti: yleensä muotoa: etunimi.sukunimi(at)jokioinen.fi
Virallinen sähköpostiosoite: jokioisten.kunta(at)jokioinen.fi